Get Your Beauty Sleep On!
Dermatologists—and, well, celebrities—praise the upward-facing, supine position. People who sleep on their backs are less likely to develop wrinkles or acne on their faces resulting from heavy contact with the pillow surface. In addition, the appearance of puffy eyes can be reduced by sleeping on your back and your nighttime facial cream has a chance to get to work instead of getting wiped off by contact with your pillow.
Medical experts agree that sleeping on your back is the best position for keeping your spine aligned which is helpful for reducing back and neck pain. You may need small pillows under your lower back and the back of your knees to help your spine maintain a neutral, aligned position.
Sleeping on your back can also help to reduce acid reflux, especially if you sleep with your head slightly elevated so that your esophagus is higher than your stomach and avoid eating for a few hours before you retire. Back-sleeping can help to reduce sinus congestion as well. It should be noted, however, that sleeping on your back is not recommended in pregnancy or if you suffer from sleep apnea or chronic snoring.
Stretch Before You Sleep
Sleeping on your back is purported to be the best position to minimize hip and back pain but if you still find you’re experiencing pain, you can take steps to reduce your pain. Try implementing a gentle stretching or yoga routine before bed. This will help rid your muscles of tension and reduce discomfort during the night. You can find many examples of before-bed stretching routines online such as this one. Find one you like, turn on some relaxing music, ease your muscle tension and get ready for sleep that provides deeper restoration!
Pillows and Mattresses for the Back Sleeper
If real estate’s mantra is “location, location, location,” sleep experts want you to remember “support, support, support!” This means choosing sleeping positions with spinal alignment in mind as well as pillows and mattresses to help support an aligned position. Choosing a supportive main pillow is paramount to finding comfort on your back. For back sleepers, a small pillow tucked under the neck, lower back or knees may also be helpful to maintain neutral spinal alignment. Of course, your most important decision is choosing a supportive mattress.
What is The Best Mattress for Back Sleepers?
Sleep experts at Direct Bed confirm that back sleepers need specific support to ensure their alignment and comfort. This does not necessarily mean “firm!” Try this: stand straight up against a wall (firm). Can you still feel that small gap between the arch of your back and the wall? Moving to the horizontal, we want to find a mattress that responds to your unique shape by contouring to your back with medium-firm support.
As a back-sleeper, you want to look for a mattress that is medium-firm: achieving both the support and alignment you need to help you get your best sleep.
Check out these options, hand-picked by Direct Bed sleep specialists:
- Our Cambridge Suite offers zoned support: It’s 14” of support including a pocket coil pillow top and luxury layers of cool gel foam and serene foam.
- The Nebulus Suite is another option for back sleepers. It features a hybrid of pocket coils for orthopedic support and foam to cradle the contours of your hips and shoulders.
- Available to customers all over Canada, Direct Bed offers the London Suite, a great value 7” mattress with Canadian-made Bio Foam and memory foam. The London suite offers supportive comfort that ships free in a box.
- The Breton Suite is another option for those looking for a Canadian-made Bio Foam option that supports back sleepers. It’s 8” deep and can also be shipped in a box for those shopping from further distances in Canada.
- For a truly luxurious option, that offers the ultimate technology in contouring sleep support, the Tempur-Pedic Pro Align Firm mattress may be the mattress you have been waiting for! Back sleepers should opt for the “firm” in the Pro-Align series.
Remember, you can always shop in-store! In the Hamilton area, our store is located at 903 Barton Street in Stoney Creek and for Niagara Residents, we are at 350 Ontario Street, St. Catharines. We are always ready to help you get the sleep you deserve: whether you reach out to us online, by livechat, by phone, or in person!